It is common knowledge that calcium builds strong bones and teeth. But did you know calcium contributes to weight loss? Research tells us it does!
- Higher calcium & vitamin D at breakfast increases metabolism over a 24-hour period.
- Higher calcium is associated with more calories burned & a higher rate of fat metabolism.
- Lower calcium leads to an increase in cortisol production, which increases belly fat.
NOTE: While calcium supplements may provide bone-strengthening benefits, there is no evidence that they offer support for weight loss.
So what source of calcium does the research recommend?
- A study found that high-dairy eaters were able to lose significantly more weight than low-dairy eaters.
- One hypothesis is that dairy products provide feelings of fullness, thus leading to a decrease in overall calorie consumption.
- Dairy products often come with a high calorie count, so opt for low-fat dairy products.
- Add vitamin D, which is extremely critical to the proper absorption of calcium.
- Choose dairy products fortified with vitamin D.
- Spend some time in the sun (which naturally produces vitamin D).
- Take a vitamin D supplement.
- Remember, increasing calcium intake is just ONE way you can boost your weight loss efforts.
Information provided by Center for Medical Weight Loss.