Metabolic rate is the rate at which the body burns up calories. A body loses weight when it burns more calories than it consumes.
Speed up your rate of burning calories with these strategies:
- Build Muscle: For every extra pound of muscle you add, your body uses around 50 extra calories per day.
- Be Active: The average person burns about 30% of calories through daily activity; sedentary people only burn about 15%. Take opportunities throughout the day to move your body.
- Eat Spicy Food: Eating food with spices, especially chili, can raise the metabolic rate up to 50% for up to 3 hours.
- Aerobic Exercise: High intensity exercise makes you burn more calories during exercise and for several hours afterward.
- Eat Little Often: Eating small healthy meals regularly helps keep your metabolism going faster and helps control hunger.
Bonus quick tips:
- Do 10 minutes of Plyometrics (jumping drills) each week: These drills make you faster and more agile.
- Try to average 10,000 steps per day: Devices like Fitbit count how many steps you take in a day.
- Do 2 ½ hours of moderate exercise each week
Information provided by: Lifestyles Technologies, Inc. and Dr. Zach Veres